Anglo American Platinum released a PGM production report for the fourth quarter ending 31 December 2021. Total production is up 3% for the quarter vs. the same period last year and 13% for the year. Base metal production (copper and nickel) increased 52% for the year.
Overview – Q4 2021 performance against prior period Q4 2020
- Total PGMs production (expressed as 5E+Au metal-in-concentrate) up 3% against Q4 2020 at 1,103,400 ounces.
- Own-managed mines PGMs production of 634,600 ounces increased by 3% in Q4 2021, due to stronger production from Amandelbult and Unki increasing by 15% and 13% respectively.
- Refined PGMs production (owned production, excluding tolling) increased by 107% to 1,391,300 ounces.
- PGMs sales volumes (from production, excluding sales from trading) increased by 70% to 1,285,200 ounces enabled by the increase in refined production. Sales were slightly lower than refined production to rebuild refined metal inventory.
- Base metals production (copper and nickel) increased 45%, with nickel up 53% to 5,700 tonnes and copper up 34% to 4,000 tonnes due to high base-metal loaded areas mined at Mogalakwena.
Overview –2021 performance against prior period 2020
- Total PGMs production increased by 13% to 4,298,700 PGMs ounces.
- Total own-managed mines PGMs production increased by 10% to 2,436,700 PGMs ounces.
- Total refined PGMs production (owned production, excluding tolling) increased by 89% to a record 5,138,400 PGMs ounces.
- Total PGMs sales volumes (from production, excluding sales from trading) increased by 82% to 5,214,400 PGMs ounces.
- Base metal production increased by 52%, with nickel production up 61% to 22,300 tonnes and copper production up 41% to 14,600 tonnes.