World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 150.6 million tonnes (Mt) in August 2022, a 3.0% decrease compared to August 2021.
Crude steel production by region
- Africa produced 1.3 Mt in August 2022, up 3.5% on August 2022.
- Asia and Oceania produced 112.6 Mt, down 0.2%.
- The EU (27) produced 9.7 Mt, down 13.3%.
- Europe, Other produced 3.6 Mt, down 18.6%.
- The Middle East produced 3.2 Mt, up 34.2%.
- North America produced 9.6 Mt, down 5.4%.
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 6.9 Mt, down 22.4%.
- South America produced 3.6 Mt, down 10.1%.
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
- China produced 83.9 Mt in August 2022, up 0.5% on August 2021.
- India produced 10.2 Mt, up 1.2%.
- Japan produced 7.3 Mt, down 7.4%.
- The United States produced 7.0 Mt, down 7.1%.
- Russia is estimated to have produced 5.9 Mt, down 5.5%.
- South Korea is estimated to have produced 6.1 Mt, down 0.4%.
- Germany produced 2.9 Mt, down 2.3%.
- Türkiye produced 2.8 Mt, down 21.0%.
- Brazil produced 2.8 Mt, down 11.3%.
- Iran produced 2.1 Mt, up 64.7%.
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.