August 2021 crude steel production
BRUSSELS, Belgium – World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 156.8 million tonnes (Mt) in August 2021, a 1.4% decrease compared to August 2020.
CRUDE STEEL PRODUCTION BY REGION
- Africa produced 1.3 Mt in August 2021, up 38.2% on August 2020.
- Asia and Oceania produced 112.7 Mt, down 7.3%.
- The CIS produced 8.8 Mt, up 3.6%.
- The EU (27) produced 11.6 Mt, up 27.1%.
- Europe, Other produced 4.5 Mt, up 11.7%.
- The Middle East produced 3.6 Mt, up 10.9%.
- North America produced 10.2 Mt, up 24.4%.
- South America produced 4.0 Mt, up 17.2%.
The 64 countries included in this breakdown accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2020. Regions and countries covered by the above breakdown:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- CIS: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
TOP 10 STEEL-PRODUCING COUNTRIES
- China produced 83.2 Mt in August 2021, down 13.2% on August 2020.
- India produced 9.9 Mt, up 8.2%.
- Japan produced 7.9 Mt, up 22.9%.
- The United States produced 7.5 Mt, up 26.8%.
- Russia is estimated to have produced 6.3 Mt, up 4.4%.
- South Korea is estimated to have produced 6.1 Mt, up 6.2%.
- Germany is estimated to have produced 3.0 Mt, up 6.7%.
- Turkey produced 3.5 Mt, up 7.1%.
- Brazil produced 3.1 Mt, up 14.1%.
- Iran is estimated to have produced 2.5 Mt, up 8.7%.
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.