September 2021 crude steel production
BRUSSELS, Belgium – World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 144.4 million tonnes (Mt) in September 2021, an 8.9% decrease compared to September 2020.
CRUDE STEEL PRODUCTION BY REGION
- Africa produced 1.4 Mt in September 2021, up 51.0% on September 2020.
- Asia and Oceania produced 101.9 Mt, down 14.6%.
- The CIS produced 8.2 Mt, down 1.0%.
- The EU (27) produced 12.7 Mt, up 15.6%.
- Europe, Other produced 4.2 Mt, up 4.3%.
- The Middle East produced 2.2 Mt, down 35.7%.
- North America produced 9.8 Mt, up 19.2%.
- South America produced 3.9 Mt, up 17.0%.
The 64 countries included above accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2020. Regions and countries covered above:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- CIS: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
TOP 10 STEEL-PRODUCING COUNTRIES
- China produced 73.8 Mt in September 2021, down 21.2% on September 2020.
- India produced 9.5 Mt, up 7.2%.
- Japan produced 8.1 Mt, up 25.6%.
- The United States produced 7.3 Mt, up 22.0%.
- Russia is estimated to have produced 5.9 Mt, down 2.2%.
- South Korea produced 5.5 Mt, down 5.0%.
- Germany produced 3.3 Mt, up 10.7%.
- Turkey produced 3.3 Mt, up 2.4%.
- Brazil produced 3.1 Mt, up 15.3%.
- Iran is estimated to have produced 1.3 Mt, down 51.4%.
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.