World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association was 169.2 million tonnes in March 2021, a whopping 15.2% increase as compared to March 2020. China produced 94.0 million tonnes in March 2021 up 19.1% YoY, India produced 10.0 million tonnes up 23.9%, Japan produced 8.3 million tonnes up 4.6%, United States produced 7.1 million tonnes up 1.0%, Russia is estimated to have produced 6.6 million tonnes up 9.4%, South Korea produced 6.1 million tonnes up 4.7%, Germany is estimated to have produced 3.6 million tonnes up 10.4%, Turkey produced 3.4 million tonnes up 9.2%, Brazil produced 2.8 million tonnes up 4.1% and Iran is estimated to have produced 2.6 million tonnes up 10.7%.
Global crude steel production was 486.9 million tonnes in the first three months of 2021, up by 10.0% compared to the same period in 2020. Asia and Oceania produced 356.9 million tonnes of crude steel an increase of 13.2% over the first quarter of 2020 (China 271.0 million tonnes up 15.6% YoY & India 29.6 million tonnes up 10.4% YoY).
The EU (27) produced 37.8 million tonnes of crude steel up by 3.1% YoY. North America’s crude steel production was 28.1 million tonnes a decrease of 5.2% YoY. The CIS produced 26.2 million tonnes of crude steel an increase of 3.1% YoY.
Other Europe produced 12.6 million tonnes of crude steel an increase of 8.3% YoY. South America produced 10.9 million tonnes of crude steel an increase of 7.1% YoY.
Middle East produced 10.5 million tonnes of crude steel an increase of 3.2% YoY. Africa produced 3.9 million tonnes of crude steel an increase of 3.4% YoY.
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- CIS: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, and United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela