October 2021 crude steel production shows 10.6% decline
World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 145.7 million tonnes (Mt) in October 2021, a 10.6% decrease compared to October 2020.
- Crude steel production by region
- Africa produced 1.4 Mt in October 2021, up 24.1% on October 2020.
- Asia and Oceania produced 100.7 Mt, down 16.6%.
- The CIS produced 8.3 Mt, down 0.2%.
- The EU (27) produced 13.4 Mt, up 6.4%.
- Europe, Other produced 4.4 Mt, up 7.7%.
- The Middle East produced 3.2 Mt, down 12.7%.
- North America produced 10.2 Mt, up 16.9%.
- South America produced 4.0 Mt, up 12.1%.
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2020. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- CIS: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
TOP 10 STEEL-PRODUCING COUNTRIES
- China produced 71.6 Mt in October 2021, down 23.3% on October 2020.
- India produced 9.8 Mt, up 2.4%.
- Japan produced 8.2 Mt, up 14.3%.
- The United States produced 7.5 Mt, up 20.5%.
- Russia is estimated to have produced 6.1 Mt, down 0.5%.
- South Korea produced 5.8 Mt, down 1.0%.
- Germany produced 3.7 Mt, up 7.0%.
- Turkey produced 3.5 Mt, up 8.0%.
- Brazil is estimated to have produced 3.2 Mt, up 10.4%.
- Iran is estimated to have produced 2.2 Mt, down 15.3%.
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.